A crankshaft pulley, also known as a harmonic balancer, can be found on the end of the crankshaft. It operates different engine devices such as an alternator and A/C compressor with the help of the drive belt.
Signs of a faulty crankshaft pulley
- Knocking noise from the timing belt area
- Improper operation of an alternator or A/C compressor
Crankshaft pulley maintenance
- Check if the bolt securing the pulley has not loosened
- Check a rubber insert between the central portion of the pulley and the outer side which drives the belt.
- This rubber insert can wear out causing an annoying noise. The outer surface can also wear out making it difficult to set ignition timing on some vehicles.