Timing Belt Idler
A timing belt idler helps for routing and stabilizing a timing belt in its proper position. A typical engine features one timing belt idler, however, on some models you may find more than one idler pulleys.
A bad or malfunctioning timing belt idler can cause a number of engine problems, including the following:
- Grinding or roaring sounds coming from the timing belt area
- Slapping or scraping sounds from the engine
- Loose timing belt, skipping a tooth on the camshaft gear
- Illuminated check engine light
Timing belt idler replacement recommendations
- A timing belt idler should be replaced whenever a water pump or driving belt is replaced.