Timing Chain Tensioner
As its name suggests, a timing chain tensioner applies appropriate tension to a timing chain to prevent it from skipping teeth. It relies on either a spring-loaded mechanism or hydraulic pressure to operate.
A failed or malfunctioning timing chain is a source of a number of engine-related problems:
- Rough running or stalling
- Abnormal noise coming from the engine
- Misfires or backfires
- Illuminated check engine light
Timing chain replacement and maintenance
- All gears and guides should be replaced along with a timing chain.
- There are engines with more than one timing chain. All the chains along with their gear sets should be replaced together.
- If a water pump is driven by a timing chain, it should be replaced with the timing chain
- High-quality synthetic oils can prolong the service life of a timing chain.