A turbocharger is a mechanical compressor used to force air into the induction system of a vehicle to get more power from the combustion process. It is driven by exhaust gases, which flow through its exhaust inlet.
Signs of a bad or malfunctioning turbocharger
- Oil leaks
- Poor engine performance and acceleration
- Check engine light
- Increased oil consumption
- Abnormal noise during acceleration
- Driven by exhaust gases, a turbocharger gets extremely hot, so proper oil supply is crucial for its safe and efficient operation. You should use only the manufacturer’s recommended type of oil and change it according to oil change intervals mentioned in your owner’s manual.
- You should allow your engine to idle for a couple of minutes before shutting it down in order to cool down the turbocharger.