Upper Radiator Hose
Your upper radiator hose is used to transport hot coolant from the engine to the radiator. As a rule, it is made from top-quality reinforced rubber to withstand high temperatures and pressure.
A damaged or leaking upper hose can cause a variety of engine problems, including engine overheating, a low coolant level due to coolant leaks, and high readings on the temperature gauge.
Upper radiator hose replacement and maintenance
- An upper radiator hose is subjected to a lot of stress as it first contacts hot coolant from the engine. That’s why upper hose leaks are the most common problem with an engine cooling system.
- Just like any other rubber hose, an upper radiator hose is prone to wear and tear as it ages. It should be checked periodically for cracks and swelling as well as deterioration due to contact with oil.
- Whenever your upper radiator hose is replaced, all other cooling system hoses and parts should be inspected to prevent possible coolant leaks and damage in the future.
- It is a good idea to replace your hose clamps along with the hose to prevent coolant leaks.
- Some cooling system parts, such as a thermostat or water pump, may also need a replacement. Check them for signs of wear and replace, if necessary, during each system flush or cooling system repair.